If your time in Athens, Ohio is coming to a close, it’s a good time to take advantage of some opportunities you may have overlooked, or to revel in the things you love to do again and again.
So if you’re graduating this spring or summer, or are looking ahead to next year, here are a few great activities to enjoy!
- Relax in Baker University Center – No doubt you’ve made a lot of memories in Baker Center over the years, so heading back there for a bit after your finals are over might be a good way to rest and reflect. Have a coffee, people watch, unwind – just take it all in.
- Visit Old Man’s Cave – If you’ve never gone to this area in the Hocking Hills you’ll certainly want to before you leave Athens. It’s a beautiful and truly impressive natural wonder, and it makes for a good daytrip for you and your friends.
- Stop in to Jackie O’s – You’ll definitely want to pop by Jackie O’s for one more homegrown draft, because you’ll be sure to miss them when you’re gone. Good news though – there are numerous bars in Cleveland, Columbus, and other areas of the state that carry some of the brewery’s offerings.
- Get One More Avalanche Pizza – This pizza joint is award winning for a reason, so be sure to get your fill of their delicious ‘za before you head off to new adventures. You’ll certainly start craving it any time you come back to town!
- Head Out on the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway – If you’re a nature lover or fitness fan, you’ll want to take this 21-mile ride that runs from Athens to Nelsonville. Along the way you’ll see the beautiful landscape of the area you’ve come to know as home.
- Go to the Mothman Museum – Nearby Point Pleasant, West Virginia is home to the unusual local legend of the “Mothman,” and you can learn all about him at the town’s museum.
- Visit Little Fish – While Court Street’s various bars may be a little more convenient, Little Fish Brewing Company offers a great environment to kick back and relax in while you enjoy their wide assortment of beers on tap.
- Take a Stroll at the Ridges – The Ridges, the famed site of the former Athens Lunatic Asylum, is a nice and peaceful place for a walk to clear your head at the end of the semester, and you’ll be able to take in the interesting architecture of the surviving buildings too.
- See a Show at Stuart’s Opera House – A lot of great acts have come through this historic theatre in Nelsonville, and you should make it a point to get out to a show before you leave town.
- Go to a “Final Fridays” – On the final Friday of every month, aside from December, Nelsonville’s Historic Square holds this event in which galleries and retail shops stay open late, offer specials, and more. Get out to one if you have time!
- Grab a Drink at Donkey – You’ve probably had a lot of relaxing times at Donkey Coffee, and probably a few stressful ones during finals weeks as well, so get your favorite beverage, snuggle into a comfy chair, and reminisce.
- Visit the Athens County Historical Society – This society and museum can teach you all about the city you’ve spent so much time in but have likely never investigated all that much. Be sure to stop by!
- Head Out to Pleasant Hill Vineyards – Another great way to relax after a long semester, or year, is taking a trip to Pleasant Hill Vineyards, sitting on the patio, and sampling the delicious appetizers and assortment of wines.
- Go to Ohio Brew Week – If you’re considering sticking around Athens for the summer, or think you might stop back in a time or two, plan on heading to Brew Week which is held every year in July. Dozens of local beers are available from the many vendors!
- Take One More Tour of Court Street – Whether you want to hit up some other favorite eateries or bars, pop into some local shops, or just think back on your adventures in Athens, you’ll certainly want to wander the red-bricked streets one more time.
Looking for More Great Athens Activities?
On our blog, we regularly post articles on college life and Athens, Ohio. You can check out our thorough “50 Best Things to Do in Athens, Ohio” for even more terrific activities.
And if you’re looking for a great apartment complex to recommend to a sibling or a friend heading to Athens, let them know about University Commons!